Event VenueFargo Dome
Event DirectorChristina Hargrove
Junior & 16U Nationals Qualifications:
State teams shall be limited to four (4) wrestlers per age per style per weight class. Wrestlers who earn automatic qualifier status shall not count against any limit.
Automatic Qualifier – Junior & 16U Nationals:
The following shall serve as automatic qualifiers at Junior & 16U Nationals and shall not count against any roster limit:
*Geographical Exception for Qualification Procedures – Junior & 16U Nationals
For Hawaii and Alaska only, their roster limit shall not exceed 4 per weight class plus 2 additional wrestlers. The wrestlers can be at any weight class. (e.g.: 15 weight classes = 62 wrestlers)
All wrestlers weighing in must be in the weigh-in area by the beginning of the posted weigh-in time and must remain in the area until he/she has weighed in. The weigh-in area is deemed to be seating sections 9-12 and/or the area under the bleachers on the west side of the FargoDome, which is where athletes stage for medical checks.
Any wrestler(s) who fails to comply will not be allowed to weigh in, thus will also not be allowed to compete.
The following levels will be used to separate wrestlers:
A. Separation Criteria for 16U Men's Freestyle and Greco-Roman Nationals
1. U17 and above World placer in and out of style
2. 16U/U17 and above National champion in style
3. 16U/U17 and above National placer 2-4 in style
4. 16U/U17 & above National placer 5-8 in style
5. 16U/U17 & above National Champion out of style*
6. 16U/U17 & above National placer 2-4 out of style*
7. 14U National Champion in style
8. 14U National Placer 2-4 in style OR 16U/Junior Folkstyle National Champion
9. 16U/Junior Regional Champion in style OR 16U/U17 and above National placer 5-8 out of style* OR 16U/Junior Folkstyle National 2-4
10. 14U National Champion out of style*
B. Separation Criteria for Junior Men's Freestyle and Greco-Roman Nationals
1. U20 World placer in and out of style*
2. Junior/U20 National champion in style OR U17 World placer in style
3. U17 World Placer out of style* OR Junior/U20 National placer 2-4 in style
4. 16U/U17 National Champion in style
5. Junior/U20 National placer 5-8 in style OR Junior/U20 National Champion out of style*
6. 16U/U17 National placer 2-4 in style
7. 16U/U17 National placer 5-8 in style OR 16U/U17 National Champion out of style*
8. Junior/U20 National placer 2-4 out of style*
9. Junior/U20 National placer 5-8 out of style* OR 16U/U17 National placer 2-4 out of style* OR Junior Folkstyle National Champion
10. Junior Regional Champion in style OR Junior Folkstyle National 2-4
C. Separation Criteria for 16U Women's Freestyle Nationals
1. U17 World Champion
2. U17 World Place Winner
3. U17 Women's Nationals Champion
4. U17 Women's Nationals Runner UP
5. USAW 16U National Champion In Style
6. USAW 16U National Champion Out Of Style
7. U17 Women's Nationals 3-8 place
8. USAW 16U National In Style 2nd-4th
9. USAW 16U National Out Of Style 2nd-4th
10. USAW 16U National In Style 5th-8th
11. USAW 16U National Out Of Style 5th-8th
12. 16U Regional Champion in style
D. Separation Criteria for Junior Women's Freestyle Nationals
1. U20 World Champ
2. U20 World Place Winner OR U17 World Champ
3. U20 Women's Nationals Champion OR U17 World Place Winner
4. U20 Women's Nationals Runner Up OR U17 National Champ
5. USAW Junior National Champion In Style OR U17 National Runner Up
6. USAW Junior National Champion Out Of Style OR 16U National Champ
7. U20 Women's Nationals 3rd-8th Place OR 16U National Champ Out Of Style
8. Junior National In Style 2nd-4th Place OR U17 National Placer 3-8
9. Junior National Out Of Style 2nd-4th OR 16U National placer 2-4
10. Junior National In Style 5th-8th Place OR 16U National placer 2-4 Out Of Style
11. Junior National Out Of Style 5th-8th OR 16U National placer 5-8 Out Of Style
12. Junior Regional Champion in style
In cases where USA Wrestling offers the same age and style regional*/national championships for both genders, female athletes shall only be eligible for competition in the female tournament.
*= A festival held at a regional championships does not meet criteria.
In effect immediately, USA Wrestling events will follow the 2022 UWW Rule changes for Freestyle and Greco-Roman. All Regional/National events will follow these rules and policies.
2022 Regional/National Rules Modifications
1. If an athlete flees the mat during an attack and the offensive wrestler finishes his/her takedown or other scoring maneuver, the offensive wrestler will score the takedown/scoring maneuver (2, 4, or 5 points) PLUS caution to his/her opponent and one more point (2, 4, 5 + 1). Match will restart in PAR TERRE. This rule applies to all styles.
2. If an athlete flees the mat during an attack and the offensive wrestler is unable to finish his/her attack, the offensive wrestler will score the step out (1 point) PLUS caution to his/her opponent and one more point (1 + 1). Match will restart STANDING. This rule applies to all styles.
3. If an athlete flees the mat in par terre, caution to the defensive wrestler and his/her opponent receives one point. Athletes will restart in par terre. -- If an athlete flees in danger, caution to the defensive wrestler plus two points to the offensive wrestler, restart par terre (no change from previous rules).
4. Par Terre Starting Position: Match will start once the offensive athlete places hands on any part of the back.
5. If an athlete is put on activity time and does not score, the active wrestler will get one point on top of any points he/she scores in activity time. The passive athlete on activity time must score in that 30 seconds or their opponent will receive one point. The point will be awarded without stopping the match.
6. In the 14U and younger, U15, 16U, U17 and Veteran age categories, no verbal warning for inactivity will be given due to the shortened periods. The first stoppage in the match for passivity will go directly to activity time.
7. All Masters age categories will wrestle 2-minute periods.
8. In a fall situation where the defensive athlete nearly has his/her shoulders to the mat and screams to simulate an injury and a reason for this potential injury is not observed, the refereeing team is obligated to call a fall, with mat chairman approval.
9. 14U and younger age categories ARE required to wear headgear. A distinguishable shade of red or blue is acceptable singlet.
10. Double arm bar with sit-out, three quarter nelson w/leg hook and west point ride (iron cross/cross chest cradle) maneuvers are now LEGAL in all age divisions.
11. Technical superiority in GR will now be 8 points across ALL age divisions.
12. Kickbacks are legal in FS, assuming the offensive wrestler does not use undue force against the defensive wrestler’s knee. This has always been legal.
13. In Greco the offensive wrestler DOES NOT have to accompany his opponent to the mat during a throw or action in order to score points.
14. Mouth guards are not required for wrestlers (even wrestlers with braces) but recommended
15. Rest time in between matches is a minimum of 15 minutes
16. A match can be started when a wrestler does not have a coach
USA Wrestling rules governing ages, weights and match time will take precedence where applicable. USA Wrestling Protest Procedures will govern all challenges, and where available video review will be used to aid in the decision making process.
2023 RULE BOOK: https://www.usawmembership.com/usa_wrestling_rule_book