Automatic Qualifier – Junior & 16U Nationals
For any automatic qualifier based on placement at a national championships, the same shall hold
true for any World/Olympic Team Trials.
Participation – Junior & 16U Nationals
State teams shall be limited to four (4) wrestlers per age per style per weight class. Wrestlers who
earn automatic qualifier status shall not count against any limit.
Note: This proposal does not impact number of participants per state in the Girls divisions, as there are currently no limits for roster size
Eligibility at Kids Nationals
In order to be eligible for Kids Nationals, one must compete in any regional or obtain a waiver to compete from his/her state chairperson.
Weight at Kids Nationals
At Kids Nationals, provided a wrestler has qualified for Kids Nationals or been granted a waiver to compete, he/she may not compete lower than the lowest weight weighed in at any regional, minus one weight class.
Double elimination line bracketing will be used for all groups and styles with a wrestle back to 4th. Contestants are randomly drawn by computer. Wrestlers from the same state will be separated.
Weights with four (4) or fewer competitors will wrestle in a round robin format. Weights with two (2) competitors will wrestle two (2) out of three (3) to determine region champion.
In the event of a tie between two or more participants in a round-robin, the
following criteria shall be used to break the tie:
1. If two participants are tied, the head-to-head outcome will determine
2. Cumulative activity points (2 pts: Fall, Inj. Default, Forfeit, WBD; 1.5 pts: Technical Fall; 1 pt: Major decision).
3. Most pins.
4. Most technical falls.
5. Fastest time of falls (cumulative).
6. Fastest time of technical falls (cumulative).
7. Most match points.
8. Lowest contestant weight.
BRACKET CHANGES WILL BE MADE UP UNTIL 1 HOUR PRIOR TO THE START OF THE WRESTLING SESSION.
Please contact the tournament director with any issues (ie: wrestler missing from bracket or incorrect weight) by email at least 2 HOURS PRIOR to the start of the wrestling session or please come to the headtable.
National Federation of State High School Association scoring rules with USA Wrestling modifications will govern the competition. These USA Wrestling modifications include the following:
- Headgear is REQUIRED for wrestlers 14U and younger
- Mouth guards are not required for wrestlers (even wrestlers with braces) but recommended
- Rest time in between matches is a minimum of 15 minutes
- A match can be started when a wrestler does not have a coach
- The double arm bar with sit out is illegal for 14U age division and down
USA Wrestling rules governing ages, weights and match time will take precedence where applicable. USA Wrestling Protest Procedures will govern all challenges, and where available video review will be used to aid in the decision making process.
2022 RULE BOOK: https://www.usawmembership.com/usa_wrestling_rule_book